Sunday, October 09, 2011

 

Terence Malick and the Tree of Nothing

Went to see "The Tree of Life".

Visually very impressive, and at one point, very reminiscent of scenes in 2001 A Space Odyssey, and had me sold for a while (despite being quite clichéd).......but ultimately, very long winded, and I'm really not sure about what I reckon the conclusion was - started off with a good premise but it ended quite wishy-washily....hard on the knees but I was inclined to wait it out).

A LOT of people left the cinema. There was a lot of guffawing as well. Maybe they thought they were in Transformers.

I now recall that "Thin Red Line" was exactly the same in being visually great but ultimately failing as a film, as opposed to a piece of cinema!

Still, Malick is to be commended I suppose - how many people can put what is essentially an experiment in cinema into a multi-plex?

Plus, when you compare it to the impenetrably obscure (and overwhelmingly boring) "Inland Empire" (David Lynch), you can actually follow it and muddle something out of it. And it at least wasn't tedious....





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?